Friday, July 13, 2012

FEATURE AUTHOR: Kay Gibbie

KAY GIBBIE is a Writer/Researcher. Her bi-lingual coloring book, My Mama’s Sweet Potato Pie/El Pay de Camote de mi Mama hit stores and online retailers in November 2011. Her real name is Rekaya Gibson and she has three adult fiction titles, Mama Don't Like Ugly, The Food Temptress, and the sequel, The Food Enchantress. Currently, she reviews cookbooks for Cuisine Noir Magazine. She resides in Newport News, Virginia. 

How did you start out your writing career?

I started by freelance writing for magazines. 

What did you learn while writing this book?

It is hard writing for a young audience. It must be entertaining, visual, and quick.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I want children to understand that they can enjoy their favorite food, like French fries, in moderation.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

The character came first because my friend's granddaughter asked her if there are french fries in heaven. I wrote the story around this idea over six years ago.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

Some people think authors are celebrities.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

Writing. Rewriting.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1) All editors are not created equal. 2) Readers can envision an author's brand long before the author. 3) Other authors can be your greatest supporters and promoters.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do a detailed marketing plan for your book. Don't take book reviews personal.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Writers struggle with writing too.

Tell us something few know about you?

I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to cook and travel.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I attend or host events at various venues. I use social media daily. I have a blog to keep readers engaged.

Our theme for this month is FREELANCING. What type of freelancing have you done and any advice for someone interested in breaking into freelancing?

I am a freelance magazine and grant writer.

My advice is to purchase the Writer's Market and the Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript books. The Writer's Market has listing of magazines, publishers, agents, etc. It gives details on what they are looking for; how to submit; how much they pay, et cetera. The formatting book helps writers format query letters, manuscripts for books and magazines, and much more so that it comes across professional. Best wishes.

Who was the first author you ever met?

I cannot remember.

Oprah always asks, what do you know for sure?

At the end of the day, I am another day older.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

“Umm, umm, umm,” said six-year-old Kia, smiling as she breathed in a familiar scent.
“Look at all those french fries.”

Crunch! Crunch!

Kia looked down at her feet.

“Wow! French-fried grass.”

She walked around the playground touching the french-fried swings, monkey bars, slides, and trash cans. Her eyes were as wide as her aunt’s trailer.
“I must be in heaven.”

Kia couldn’t decide what to eat first because everything looked so good.

“Feed me,” her stomach growled.

She grabbed a fry from the french-fried water fountain. It felt firm, yet soft. She moved the long potato towards her mouth, then closer towards her lips. But it faded away from her mind before she could take a bite.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website) –


Six year-old Kia loves french fries and she wonders, "Are There French Fries in Heaven?" Join her as she searches for the answer to this delicious question, eventually discovering that grandma holds the key. The response makes Kia salivate and teaches her a lesson about overeating.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

2 comments:

Sidne said...

great review, I must get her on over to my blog soon also. I do follow this author and enjoy reading her blog posts.

online diploma said...

Love your blog and thank you for sharing it with me. Your writing style has an infectious (in a good way) feeling of life, laughter and energy that makes me smile. I can’t help but smile, when i read it.
Good link!! Like it..

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!