Sunday, May 20, 2012

In Loving Memory Of Monica Jackson

MONICA JACKSON

My candle burns at both ends,
It will not last the night:
But ah, my foes,
And oh, my friends,

It gives a lovely light.


Edna St. Vincent Millay


So often we read the phrase, "In Loving Memory" without giving it much thought. That simple phrase has become a signal that someone has died, and what follows is an obituary. Yet the true meaning of those words hit home when you have to write them because someone you love is gone. This time for me it's my good friend, author Monica Jackson.

Monica was first and foremost a wonderful mother and person. She was also one of the most fiercely creative spirits I've ever known. Yes, she was a writer. But Monica had the soul of an artist, and she approached every pursuit as if she was creating a new masterpiece. Whether it was helping me re-design my website, discussing our book covers, or even designing and fashioning our lives, Monica had a zeal and passion that was dazzling.

Never was that passion more ferocious than when she was debating one of her hot button issues: race and publishing. She was one of the very few Black romance writers who followed the old saying, "Tell it like it is". She didn't back down, or take back her words. Monica wasn't afraid to "play the race card", she relished it. With glee! When she was in high spirits, she'd end one of her e-mails with, "He-he". And I'd think, "Oh, here we go!" Even when it hurt, the backlash and awful words thrown at her, she could not be silent. That is true heart and courage, my fellow writers and readers.

Please say prayers for her beloved daughter, Amethyst, and the rest of her family. Her light is gone, but a beautiful glow remains.

A friend, Lynn Emery



One of my favorite memories of Monica was a chat we attended. I'd set up a chat with her for an online conference. It was a bad night because everyone kept getting kicked off. It ended up being her and me in the chat room. Instead of hanging up, she asked me if I had any questions. Of course I had questions. We talked for about two hours about writing, the writing business and BET turning her book into a movie. I truly appreciated her honesty and upfront information about writing and the business.

She wasn't afraid of telling the truth. She never worried about the consequences of opening her mouth. This was something I admired about her. She loved controversy and would jump right in, where someone else would back away. She introduced me to the blogging concept. She loved it and you could find her on a few blogs debating.

I will miss her championing the black romance. She always spoke up for them when no one else did. I will miss her willingness to help you with your web problems and sharing her knowledge about writing. Most of all I will miss her friendship.

Miss you already,
LaShaunda C. Hoffman




Please share your memories of Monica or offer your condolences
.



If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

2 comments:

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Monica's smile and awesome talent is something I will always remember. May she rest in peace. Thinking of her family during this difficult time. Monica's words will live on.

Bonnie S. Calhoun said...

So sad. But she left a great legacy of words and they will live on as her memory.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!