Friday, May 11, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Ami Blackwelder



Ami Blackwelder is a romance suspense writer in the paranormal, scifi and historical genres. Growing up in Florida, she graduated UCF and in 1997 received her BA in English and additional teaching credentials. Then she packed her bags and travelled overseas to teach in Thailand, Nepal, Tibet, China and Korea. Thailand is considered her second home now. She has always loved writing and wrote poems and short stores since childhood; however, her novels began when she was in Thailand.

Having won the Best Fiction Award from the University of Central Florida (Yes, The Blair Witch Project University), her short fiction From Joy We Come, Unto Joy We Return was published in the on campus literary magazine: Cypress Dome and remains to this day in University libraries around the USA. Later, she achieved the semi-finals in a Laurel Hemingway contest and published a few poems in the Thailand’s Expat magazine, and an article in the Thailand’s People newspaper. Additionally, she has published poetry in the Korea’s AIM magazine, the American Poetic Monthly magazine and Twisted Dreams Magazine.

How did you start out your writing career?

I've always been a writer, since I I could write words, but my career began in 2010. I dabbled in publishing through small presses and epublishers in 2009, but did not sell that many. I decided to take the publishing career into my own hands and self-published in 2012. Now I consider myself an indie author, differentiating from self-publishing because indies have more of a business approach which is what I have learned over the past two years.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned I love stories about angels and intrigue. I've never done a thriller type of novel before and so this was really fun for me. The Shifter books I wrote, books 1-6, are suspenseful, but this YA book has the whole "who is the good and bad guy" thing going on and Ali is never quite sure.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope to tap into the YA audience and grab them. I think this is something the YA readers will love.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot?

Why? The plot came first and the characters unfolded. The plot continued to unfold as the characters grew...Sometimes the characters are first, but not in this story. In my graphic novella, the character Rain was first. In the Hunted of 2060, April came first, the character....but in this story, the plot came first. I had an idea I wanted to explore.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

I love feedback from readers and fans. Fan letters alway shake me smile! I've gotten so much support that it amazes me!

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love creating a world for readers to enjoy, escape. Hate? I don't really hate any aspect, but if I had to name one, it would be the promoting. But on the other hand I like it too, because it gives me more time to interact with my readers.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

To never distribute a book before it is really good enough to see. I've made that mistake too many times and people can be very critical.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do find professionals to learn from and don't try to do it all yourself.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That writing is not easy. Many non-writers think telling a story is simple and many times it looks that way if a writer did his/her job well. But writing is full of complications from the first draft to the final story and from editing to cover designs, to decisions with promotions and getting the word out there. Readers could be a bit more sympathetic to how much work really goes into any book, even one with errors.

Tell us something few know about you?

I love music. Almost all kinds. Love dancing.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Read, movies (Hunger Games!), walking, swimming, sun bathing.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

Blog posts, interviews, Kindle Boards, forums, twitter, Facebook, blogger, author website

Our theme for this month is BOOK READERS.

Name your top five favorite books of all time.


Pride and Prejudice, Star Wars, Jaws, Chronicles of Narnia, Wither...

Who was the first author you ever met?

Met? Wow, um....I never met an author who is big time. I've met many indie published authors. When I started promoting my work I met many.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that I want to be an author, one who can make a living or supplemental living from writing.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

YES! It is a Vampire novella. 3 parts. The first part is almost done.



VAMPIRE DYSTOPIA THRILLER Midnight: The Century of the Vampire

The year is 2175. The Century of the Vampire. No one could say for sure when the vampires began populating. Somewhere in 2100...the 22nd century. Humans remembered those silly stories told about vampires at bedtime and in mythical novels. The one rule: Never reveal yourself to the human world. Looking back, the notion became laughable. These vampires had their own number one rule: There are no rules.

Humans hid from these gruesome monsters for seventy-five years. Most did not survive. Vampires rule the earth now. ….unless vampire slayers Aura and Mark can help it.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

http://amiblackwelder.blogpsot.com
All my info is there
touch-of-grace@hotmail.com



She Speaks to Angels

"I tried not to sound hysterical, but it’s not every day you find out the paranormal is hunting you."

What if everything you believed was a lie?

A Suicide

Seventeen year old Allison Maney attends Millennium High School in Manhattan. Nothing out of the ordinary, unless you consider the occasional suicides at the school. At least that is what everyone is told, what everyone believes. But Tommy Bachelor was a popular football player; why would he jump off the roof of the school?

Dangerous Liaisons When Dameon pays attention to Ali, she couldn't be more excited, because for the past three months he was all she could think about. But now that Dameon is finally pining for her affections, she is becoming more and more wrapped up in a clique of three who, as new transfers to the school, are proving to be trouble. But at least Dameon loves her, doesn't he?

Kian- a dangerous love interest she did not ask for.
Powers- belonging to an underworld she never knew existed.
A Clique- that could be friends or foes?

A Soul Purpose
The underworld of angels and demons have one thing on their mind: Earth.
Demons want to do what they want.
Angels want to protect humans from these rogue angels, AKA: Demons
For Allison Maney, everything is not exactly what it seems…
A Suspenseful Romance

Caught between Dameon and Kian, the suicide and the clique of three,
Ali won't know who to trust…or who to love.

BOOK TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWorXi8Rxv8



If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

1 comment:

Amy Blackwelder said...

Thank u so much for having me on!

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!