Wednesday, February 22, 2012

FEATURED AUTHOR: Kiru Taye

Kiru Taye writes steamy contemporary, historical and paranormal romance. Her debut historical romance novella His Treasure is a Love Romances Cafe Best Book of 2011 award-winner and an All Romance eBooks bestseller in Historical Ancient romance category. Her stories are steamy and sensual, her characters are passionate and sassy and her settings, atmospheric and exotic.

When she’s not writing, she’s reading, hanging out with family or traveling. She lives in the United Kingdom with her husband and two young children. You can reach her via her blog, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads

How did you start out your writing career?

With 2 young kids at home and a husband who travels a lot for business I wanted a career that gave me flexibility. I’d always wanted to write but my busy career in the corporate world meant I never had the time. So when I decided to change careers, I saw it as the perfect opportunity to write.

What did you learn while writing this book?

With this story I was writing out of my comfort zone. I had to do a lot of research into Igbo culture and history. I also spoke to older relatives and friends who recalled stories where told as children. I learnt some new things about my cultural heritage.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I wanted to write about African heritage and culture in a positive light. African isn’t all about war and poverty. People fall in love and are romantic just like in every other part of the world.

What came first with this story, the characters or the plot? Why?

I’m not a plotter. I tend to write my stories, one chapter at a time. So this was no different, it was character-driven. The first scene that came into my head was of this young woman on her way to the market early in the morning in ancient Africa. I didn’t quite know who she was or what her conflict was. But she was walking along chatting with her friend who happened to be pregnant. From there the story developed.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

I’m pleasantly surprised everyday by the overwhelmingly positive reception my debut book has received. It is a historical romance novella set in Ancient sub-saharan African, not something you read every day.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the whole process of just writing when the idea is fresh in my head. Just me and my laptop, typing away as the story develops.

I won’t say I hate but I don’t like line editing. I always cringe whenever I read the line editor’s comments on my WIP. :)

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do learn – Read a lot. Find out what you love about your favorite novels and try to work that into your books.

Don’t give up – Don’t throw the towel in because you receive a rejection from a publisher. Rewrite and refine your manuscript and send it to other publishers.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Writing is a job. At least for me it is. It’s not a hobby. I’d like to earn a decent living from it, just like everyone else doing a job.

Tell us something few know about you?

I was born in Enugu, Nigeria.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love reading, hanging out with friends and family and traveling.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I interact with readers online via my blog, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads

Our theme for this month is Writing the book, what advice do you have for staying motivated to complete the book?

I think it’s important to engage with your characters. My characters tend to be quite loud and ‘in my ear’ so I’m always motivated to keep going.

Another point is to just write. When I write my first draft, I don’t do any editing. I just write. It’s only when the first draft is complete that I go through and edit.

Do you do anything to promote Black History Month?

In the UK, Black History Month is on October. I participate in events with other authors to promote books of African history.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?


I know that I love God, my husband and children.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next book is out already. A Valentine Challenge is a contemporary romance set in Nigeria. Here’s the blurb.

Ex-soldier Michael Ede’s spent his time building his life exactly the way he wants it. Life is good. Or so he thinks. So when his friends set him a challenge to exorcise the memory of a woman from his past, he expects it to be a walk in the park.

Socialite Kasie Bosa is spitting fire at men. Her long-term boyfriend has asked for a break via text message of all things. How dare he? She’s told him to go take a dive into the River Niger. And not so politely too. So the next man who dares to cross her path is at risk of getting shredded with her spa manicured nails.

Bad news for Michael who has chosen her as the object of his challenge. But neither of them can deny the sizzling chemistry between them nor control their responses, it seems. It’s the season of love. Can either of them escape unscathed?

A Valentine Challenge is available now on Amazon US, Amazon UK and All Romance eBooks.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)


Readers can reach me via my blog - http://kirutayewrites.blogspot.com, Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads

His Treasure

In a time when men ruled their households with firm hands, can a quiet man tame his rebellious wife with persevering love?

Angry at being forced to marry a man not of her choosing, Adaku stubbornly shuns her new husband on their wedding night. However, she soon discovers there are worse things than giving in to a man whose touch awakens her deep desires. In a land where fruitfulness is celebrated, she could soon be labeled a barren woman.

Obinna knows there are several ways to tame a rebellious woman. Patience and perseverance are two of them. Adaku is his treasure and he will never let her go. When her fears push her into his arms, will he be able to convince her to stay with him forever by unleashing the passion within her?

His Treasure is available now on Amazon US, Amazon UK, All Romance eBooks and other online retailers.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article :)

Cilla

Unknown said...

Way to go Kiru!!!! So proud of you:-)

Judy Lynn Hubbard said...

Congratulations on your releases, Kiru! Much success to you!

Kiru Taye said...

Thank you, Cilla, Ogor and Judy! Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Fab Interview, Kiru :-D

Kiru Taye said...

Thank you, Doris. :)

Stella said...

Congrats once again on your second novel. Enjoyed reading your answers, Kiru.

Ea Bloom said...

Great interview, Kiru. I'm happy to know you're not a plotter. I was beginning to worry that my strategy needs to change. A Valentine's Challenge sounds interesting

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!