Friday, October 14, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Ashea Goldson


Ashea Goldson, originally from Brooklyn, NewYork, and now residing in a Metro Atlanta suburb, is a graduate of Fordham University who calls herself a kingdom writer. She is a down to earth author, poet, educator, and entrepreneur who loves her family, friends, and the ministry. She spends her days passing on her love of reading and language to her students at the preparatory school she co-owns and operates. By evening she transforms herself into writer extraordinaire,when she is able to fully indulge her creative passions. Her novels are The Lovechild and Joy Comes In the Morning, both published by Kensington. Her third novel, Count It All Joy, is the sequel to Joy Comes, and has recently been released. She is currently working on her fourth Christian fiction novel which is the final book in the “joy” series. She is also working on a number of other independent projects. In addition to this she hosts a blogtalkradio show called WordThirst literary Journal & Authors Showcase which highlights the work of other like-minded authors and visionaries.

How did you start out your writing career?

Although I had written since I was very young, and had majored in journalism, after college,I began to focus on my new family, put my dreams on hold, and did not write at all for years. Despite myself, God gave me the revelation about writing being my purpose. I then began to diligently seek out opportunities to write, articles,plays, poetry, short stories, etc. I also joined a newly formed writers group founded by authors Tia McCollors and Sherri Lewis. Being with like-minded writers definitely inspired me to complete and submit my first novel. Once I understood my purpose, I haven’t stopped writing since.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I learned that I could actually write a sequel and still be in love with the characters.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hoped to show that God is with us even during difficult circumstances, and that if we will change our attitudes to line up with God’s word, to truly count it all joy, that we will come out victorious.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

I enjoyed writing the mother in law, Mother Benning. She is quite a strong character to say the least.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

I guess I am most surprised or humbled by how many people tell me that they enjoyed the book and/or how it touched their lives personally.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the creative process the most, actually writing the story. The part I hate the most is the business part-marketing and sales.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

1.Budget your advance payment carefully. 2. In marketing your book, you’re pretty much on your own 3.Bookstores do not necessarily account for the most book sales.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

1.Believe in yourself whether others do or not; therefore you must continue to write everyday. 2.Don’t submit work that is rough. Take some time to learn the craft through books, workshops, etc. Get your work critiqued and professionally edited so that your work will be clean. First impressions are everything.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

It is not as easy as it looks. It actually takes a lot of skill, imagination, organization, determination, resilience, etc.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

I would be Nettie from the Color Purple.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time I like to write poetry, listen to gospel music, hang out with my family, read a good book, or watch a good movie. I also love serving in ministry.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I try to make myself available on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In as well as on my website. I hope to encourage my readers to interact by offering free books and prizes.

Our theme for this month is BUSINESS OF WRITING. What were you surprised by about the business side of writing?

I was surprised by the extensive marketing that is required. If you don’t sell your book, then no one reads it and if no one reads it, then what was the point? You’ve got to spread the word.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that without the Lord, I could not have come this far on this journey that is my life.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next book is Let Joy Arise, the third and final book in the joy series. This book picks up where Count It All Joy leaves off . It follows Taylor’s story as she confronts her enemies in her own unique style.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

asheagold@yahoo.com, www.asheagoldson.com , 1224 Gallatin Ct. Hampton. GA 30228


Count It All Joy

After a long, complex engagement, Alex and Joshua Benning feel like “happily ever after” is finally theirs. But the marriage may sour as soon-to-be minister Joshua starts pressuring Alex to start a family. Years ago, Alex suffered a botched abortion, and she still struggles from it. Joshua has his own issues. A widower who already has a five-year-old daughter, Joshua wants “the perfect family”—to the point of it being an obsession. There’s also a scandal brewing over a relationship with a possible surrogate and recent international adoption attempt in the mix. Soon all the drama makes the marriage seem unmanageable and things start falling apart. Can faith lead them back to the love they share and bring them back to joy?

BOOK TRAILER




If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!