Monday, September 12, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Sherman Turner


How did you start out your writing career?

Prior to my writing career, I was a Master-Plumber owning a minority contracting business working for the government in the SBA 8/a program. When minority unemployment skyrocketed upwards to critical stages the government instructed me to hire and train minority workers; regardless of the “Unions” and “Wall Street Contractors” objections. This was at West Valley Nuclear Plant in New York State, where they never hired minorities or trained minorities before! Find out what happened? (Read “Minorities Deceived”)

About 18 October, in year 1995 I had serious stroke that left me 99 % paralyzed, with loss of memory, and no speaking abilities too. It seemed like my life ended because I could not comprehend my surroundings. Find out what happened? (Read “Minorities Deceived”)

After nine years of rehabilitation in year 2004, I decided to take my Doctors advice trying to learn another language to enhance my abilities learning walking and talking again. My selection was my roots in Africa and the language of “Swahili” in Kenya. At the Kenyan school of rehabilitation they started me in the 3rd grade because I wanted to also learn writing too! I lost my right hand and now only had use of my left hand. My trainers and friends were mostly from the “Luo tribe” in Kenya and friends & cousins of then Senator Obama.

The friends and cousins of President Obama would not allow me to give up on myself either. Every time I wanted to quit they would tell me stories of the hardships of then Senator Obama. Also see the rare photo album pictures of the Kenyan rehabilitation school and find the picture of President Obama’s relative(s). (Read “Kenya Rehabilitation”)

What did you learn while writing this book?

While writing this book “The New Plumbing Guide” made look back to me remember how hard it was to learn plumbing because of discrimination back in the day. Also I can never forget those times when my Mother would ask those plumber’s questions and never get the correct answers either.

Therefore I would not want any other young minority men or their Mothers getting and having embarrassing moments. For these are the reasons that gives me greater encouragement to write the best of the best, plumbing book. There are not really any “how-to” and “self-help” plumbing books which aids in checking plumbing billings costs and estimates either.

Why did you choose to write a book about this subject?

Minorities today have a great disadvantage facing hidden discrimination within the specialty construction trades. Therefore it’s only natural that I past on my expertise and knowledge in plumbing and construction trades.

Plus after hearing and seeing the many complaints of the elderly being ripped-off, also from church ladies, and wow my daughter too! Then I received letters from my Kenyan friends wanting to an interest in learning various plumbing topics.

Therefore my new book will satisfy everyone because the first part is informative and explains various plumbing methods. The second part teaches estimating with the new estimating methods for plumbing engineering with computers.

What was the hardest part about writing your book?

Explaining technical answers to something simple for the novice person to understand but yet be informative. That is very hard when a person has no knowledge in plumbing and construction type estimating fields.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

I still don’t believe I am an author because I only write about what I know and have experienced.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I like and treasure researching topics of interest and then wish I was afforded a good education. I hate nothing about writing yet, which tells me that I am still at the learning stage of writing.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

To be honest “no answer” to this question, todate!

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be writer?

Sorry, I lack the knowledge and correct education to advise aspiring writers. But I can only say for me being 70 years old plus, that writing seems easy when I write about topics of interest that I know and am passionate about.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Some times you have to experience something to be a good qualified writer. My experience gives me that firm base and foundation of truthfulness in my books.

If you could be a character from any book you’ve read, who would you be?

None because I like to be me!

When you’re not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to talk to people for their opinions and ideas on lots of subjects, books, and ect…

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I always give out 5 to 10 free copies of my new books to readers asking for an honest book opinion.

Our theme for this month is Online Marketing. What online marketing have you found works well for you?

Book reviews seem to work best for me!

This is SORMAG’s 11th Anniversary online. Would you like to offer us anniversary congrats?

Yes, congratulations and many more blessed ones too! Akubariki sana (may God bless you very much)

Oprah always asks. What do you know for sure?

Taxes and death.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

It seems like my daughter, plumbers, and friend fans in Kenya, have requested me to write an enhanced informative plumbing and construction estimating book, to help save them their money by popular demand. This means you can expect me to start on my new book in September and October of 2011 to be published and ready in May or June of 2012.

How can readers get in contact with you?

Please by Email: hallow123@msn.com
Plus you can follow me on TWITTER: @shermanturner and @plumb8080

THE NEW PLUMBING GUIDE
Master-Plumber & Author wrote “The New Plumbing Guide” hoping to help Home-Owners & Ladies from not getting ripped-off. Since my retirement there has suddenly been an increase of fraud in plumbing work and repairs by many Plumbers and want-to-be handy-men Plumbers and other Contractors also!

When the Author noticed that there were “NO” how-to-books written and available for Home-Owners and Ladies detailing plumbing work. Relating to checking estimates, materials, and “NO” information on man-hours either! This lack of information caused the Author to write the first of its kind book because many are getting ripped-off by unscrupulous contractors.

Therefore Author wrote “The New Plumbing Guide” with the hope to help Home-Owners and Ladies who knows nothing about plumbing. This book will serve as your guide in preparing you to deal with Plumbers and Contractors to help save you 10% - 50% of your money. Get better informed today!

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

2 comments:

iris celeste said...

Great interview!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for writing such a much needed book. It is absolutely a book I need because I like keeping as much money as I can in my pockets.
Your testimony is one that makes me say "If it had not been for the Lord on my side"

Thank Q

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!