Thursday, August 18, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Keith Thomas Walker

Keith Thomas Walker is a graduate of Texas Wesleyan University where he earned a bachelor’s degree in English. He enjoys reading, poetry, and music of all genres. Keith currently works in administration at one of the city’s largest hospitals. He lives in Fort Worth, Texas with his wife and two children.

How did you start out your writing career?

I published my first book in 2009, but I’ve been writing since the 6th grade, ever since I read Pet Sematary by Stephen King. I was amazed at how a man I had virtually nothing in common with could sit behind a keyboard and make people all over the world feel so many strong emotions. I wanted to be like him one day. Still do.

What did you learn while writing this book?

With The Finley Sisters’ Oath of Romance, I learned that it is possible to write a book with multiple main characters (all female) and still keep their personalities separate and unique. I know other authors have done this before, but this was my first time.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

My primary goal is always to entertain. But all of my books are inspirational and heartwarming. I want my readers to believe they can overcome their circumstances and rise above mundane or even abusive situations. I want my readers to love themselves and expect the best out of life.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

I think I had the most fun writing about Mona. She’s very honest and sexual, demanding and shallow. I generally have mixed emotions about women like her, but I fell in love with Mona when I stepped into her shoes, or heels, as it were. Lol.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The most surprising thing for me is how shady the business is. I thought the book industry was filled with honest intellectuals who would never stab you in the back. Not so.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love writing. Editing, not so much. But I’m an English major (former English teacher), and I’m actually very good at editing. My real editors constantly tell me my “rough drafts” need very little work.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do write as much as possible. One book a year is not enough, until you make it big. Don’t expect to make the bestsellers’ list your first time out. If you do, Amen, but don’t get your hopes up. There’s a lot of competition out there. It’s hard to get noticed.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Every bit of feedback matters, so if you like a book, don’t hesitate to post a review somewhere. Some folks won’t order a book if they can’t find a review for it.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I love to read and listen to music. I like to attend and perform at open mic and poetry slam venues. I like to dine out and go to the movies. I enjoy spending time with my kids, tossing a football or getting them involved in reading and writing.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

My readers are important, so I respond to every email and comment I receive on facebook or other websites. Some days I spend more time responding to readers than I do working on my books. It’s an investment that’s definitely worthwhile.

Our theme for this month is NON-FICTION. Have you ever written non-fiction? If so what did you write?

A lot of my poetry is non fiction, and I’ve written a few non-fiction short stories about my trials and tribulations growing up in “the hood.” I’ll write a whole book about my life one day. Most people don’t know how bad I had it growing up poor, hanging with a gang, going to jail. I actually got shot in the head once. Lol. Wait, that’s not funny…

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next book is Blow by Blow. This is the story of an up-and-coming boxer and the woman he loves. This is probably the best of my (soon to be) published works. Lonzo dreams of being a champion, but when times get hard he returns to work for a notorious crime boss. Danger soon follows him to the people he loves.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Email: kwalkerbooks@yahoo.com
Website: http://keithwalkerbooks.com

THE FINLEY SISTER'S OATH OF ROMANCE
Ten years ago, Mona, Rene and Dawn were the closest and most popular friends at Finley High School. Everyone knew they would be kindred spirits forever, but after graduation the real world lured them in three different directions, and the trio has little contact until their high school reunion. The girls, now women, are instantly inseparable again, but broken promises linger like ghosts from the past. An attempt to recapture the hope and innocence of their youth leads the ladies down a road of discovery that is sometimes hilarious, sometimes sensual, other times dark and painful. And what they thought was their simplest vow, to live love to the fullest, is no easy task for the Finley Sisters.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!