Friday, January 28, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Samara King

Samara King began her literary journey at the age of twelve years old while sneaking to the back of the library and indulging in romance novels; soon after, she wrote her own! She has penned three novels and eleven novellas all within the multicultural erotic romance genre, as well as two poetry collections.

In 2010, Samara launched SK MINIs, her novella imprint to be headed by Samara King Books, her self-publishing company. Starting in February, Samara will be a columnist for From A Writer’s POV Magazine with her blog column, Characterology.

Her first poetry collection, The Ebony Kryptonite, will be followed by The Naked The Bare. She has been published by Cobblestone Press, Changeling Press, Loose Id, and Total-e-Bound to date.

Currently she is working on her next SK MINI project!



The Ebony Kryptonite

Poetry is the fusion of the heart, body and soul. The raw force of the spirit's delight, triumphs and tribulations. Journey with me…


“Shug like honey. And now I’s just like a bee.”


Celie, The Color Purple…

And so it is for me and poetry, inseparable from a time before my comprehension. I can’t tell you the precise time, minute or second in which words intertwined their potent web around me or when concept of prose and rhyme married, blending within it the very core of me.

What I can say is poetry is like air to my lungs, lyrics to a hot beat and within its textures and hues; I create the motley of my life, experiences, observations, and a mix of reality, fantasy and possibility.

I believe one of the most powerful legacies we as human beings leave behind when we are no longer will be our words. Their power can provide strength, inspiration and love. A legacy as described makes one richer than all the millionaires combined.



How did you start out your writing career?

I started pursuing my writing seriously back in 1997 but have been writing since the 8th grade.

What did you learn while writing this book?

A lot, The Ebony Kryptonite is a poetry collection, however, each poem tells a story directly from my life. I learned the exposure in such a way is good for the soul, especially from the feedback I’ve been receiving.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

I hope to reach other people – women - who are experiencing life challenges. The human spirit is a powerful force. Life likes to try and make us forget it. The Ebony Kryptonite has a strong sense of hope within it.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

Well, in this case I would be the character and so are those in my daily life or things I’ve observed. I think it was interesting as a whole to watch a story unfold within the verses of poetry.

How do you keep motivated to write?

This is a day to day thing, I know its stated that “you should write everyday” but my creative process truly adheres to other creative realms, such as music, designing, etc. I allow my muse to go where it pleases and each venue makes my writing stronger.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love creating characters and playing what if. You never know what you will end up with. I’m not sure there’s a particular aspect I hate. I do know that when I’m done with a piece, I hate to revisit it. My brain is already on the next adventure.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

Building a brand takes a lot of patience. The writing journey changes and sometimes what you use to want no longer applies and that’s OK! Setting your own path is a gift and a curse – but I think in the end, I’d have it no other way!

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

Do hone your craft, always be in learning mode, it makes your writing voice stronger. Don’t let others dictate what your writing voice should be – kills creativity and your stride.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

Writing is a mental process, it interweaves a lot of factors.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

I’d love to be any heroine in Brenda Jackson’s or Beverly Jenkins’ novels. Those heroes are divine. (I’ll stop smiling now.)

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

I spend time with my son, read, design, movies, dance and people watch.

What do you do to interact with your readers?

I will have interactive chats both on SamaraKing.com and SKMinis.com. Character Points is a monthly blog I do geared towards writers that focusing on the interesting ways of developing characters. Readers can often find me on Facebook for either Samara King or the SK MINIs Facebook fan page or Twitter.

Our theme this month is Family Literacy.

Do you do anything to promote family literacy? Yes, I love history so my bookshelf has tons of African American history books, my teenage son is currently reading up on African American Indians and has become quite enthralled with the different facts he’s learning.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know that I was blessed with the gift of word and it is my hope to continue to spread that gift as long as I live.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Readers may reach me via email at: ms_samara_king@yahoo.com, or visit my websites at: http://samaraking.com, http://www.samarakingbooks.com/, http://www.skminis.com/


If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Promote your books on SORMAG - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

1 comment:

LaShaunda said...

Samara,

Thank you for being our featured author. I'm also one who believes you should let the muse flow. I tried the everyday writing and some days it just didn't flow.

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!