Tuesday, November 10, 2009

PURPOSELY SAID - Dr. Linda F. Beed


Be Not Distracted

Distract – To cause to turn away from the original focus of attention or interest; divert.

One of the pitfalls of writing is finding the time to do so without distractions.

Distractions come in a variety of forms. It can be something as simple as having a friend or family member visit during your self-imposed work hours, to losing stretches of time tuning in and out of programs on a television that should be off.

Writing is a business that requires a plan. Your master plan for success should include undisturbed time for writing. Some of the possibilities to help you can be as simple as:

*Setting your schedule so that you are able to be away from family without being distracted by guilt
*Know what project, passage or chapter you need to make headway on
*Turning off the ringer of your home and cell phone
*Turning off televisions and all music
*Having a meal or snack before settling in
*Having a bottle of water nearby

The above practices will vary for each individual. The point is that eliminating distractions is necessary and requires a plan in order to remain on task.

Dr. Linda Beed is an educator, speaker, children’s minister and author of Business Unusual and co-moderator of BWChristianLit an online writing and mentor group. She is also review editor for KDgospel Media Magazine.

You can find her on the web at:

http://www.lindabeed.com/ / MySpace / On Assignment Reviews / BWChristianLit

2 comments:

LaShaunda said...

Ms. Linda,

This post is for me. Trying to stay focus on this path is hard.

I made a commitment this month to write and the distractions have come out of the walls at me.

However instead of stopping, I'm going forward because I will not complete the book if I continue to let the distractions win.

Thank you for this much needed word.

Linda Beed said...

Remaining focused is a challenge for we who are mothers and business women who ar usd to multi-tasking. I encourage you to hang in there. You will make the transition.

Linda!

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!