Wednesday, November 26, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: Michelle Stimpson



Michelle Stimpson is an author, a speaker, and an educator who received her Bachelor of Science degree from Jarvis Christian College in 1994. She earned a Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2002. She has had the pleasure of teaching elementary, middle, and high school as well as training adults.

Michelle Stimpson is an author, a speaker, and an educator who received her Bachelor of Science degree from Jarvis Christian College in 1994. She earned a Master’s in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2002. She has had the pleasure of teaching elementary, middle, and high school as well as training adults.

Michelle serves in the Creative Tyme Ministry at her home church, Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship, and she is also currently pursing her ministerial license. She ministers to women through her online newsletter: www.womengrowinginchrist.com. Michelle lives near Dallas with her husband, their two teenage children, and one crazy dog.

Michelle tours annually with the Anointed Authors on Tour. She regularly speaks at special events and writing workshops sponsored churches, schools, book clubs and other positive organizations.

Trouble In My Way

It’s all Karis’s mom’s fault.

If she hadn’t snooped into Karis’s diary, she never would have known about Karis’s unauthorized activies. Now, Karis is grounded indefinitely with no modem, no iPOD…and no cell phone. There’s just no way Karis can survive being cut off from the world. Add a “shiesty” potential stepmother, an dangerous relationship with a self-proclaimed bad boy, and the constant pressure to cover her sneaky tracks – the combination makes a perfect recipe for high drama. Will faith in God help Karis get through, or has she pushed grace, and her mother, too far?

What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

I hope that reading this book will make the readers think about what it means to live with integrity. Sometimes it is hard to do the right thing, but doing the right thing is always the best thing.

What did you learn while writing this book?

I had to relive some of my teen years in writing this book, so I guess I'd say I had to "re-learn" what it was like to be sixteen and feel like those who love you most (your parents) are trying to make your life miserable. It was a tough time to revisit, but it was also a lot of fun.

What is the hardest part about the writing business?

The hardest part for me is staying focused. Every once in a while, I come across something and thing "Ooh! Wow! I bet it would be fun to do that, too!" But I don't think I'd ever get anything done if I tried a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Right now, I'm learning to do one or two things well and leave the rest to other professionals - graphic designers, media moguls, etc.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

I wish non-writers understood that writing is actually WORK. People sometimes think that because writers are working from home, they're not really "working." But that's not true. It takes discipline to sit down and write!

Our theme this month is Time Management. How do you do to manage your writing time?

I do my best writing at night, and that's somewhat tough because I still have to get up every day and (at least) take my kids to school bright and early in the morning. Many days, I also have workshops and such to conduct. Two things I do to make sure that I don't get too tired are: 1) exercise; 2) take naps.

What are three things you wish you'd known before you reached where you are now?

I wish I had known more about marketing and staying in touch with readers. I had some really great opportunities with my first novel (Boaz Brown) that I didn't fully understand or take advantage of. Nonetheless, God was faithful to bless me with some really great reading fans who continue to spread the word about that book.

Was there ever a time in your writing career you thought of quitting?

I don't think I think of "quitting" per se, but I frequently think of cutting back of changing my focus a bit - going from adult fiction to strictly young adult fiction or academic writing. I don't think that I'll ever lose the writing bug, however.

Do you have any advice for the aspiring writer?

Just write. You don't have to like everything you write, but finish SOMETHING. The first novella I ever wrote is still sitting in a drawer (not even five feet from me right now). It never got published, but it showed me that I could actually write a book.

What are you thankful for this year?

I'm thankful for so much favor. Again, the Lord has blessed me with so many opportunities in writing that I couldn't even have imagined. I'm grateful for His favor.

Five questions about books:

One book you’ve read more than once.

Most of the reading I do is non-fiction, centering around Christian living. Those never get old. But as for fiction, I could read Bernice McFadden's "Sugar," a million times and I've read Norma Jarret's "Sunday Brunch" more than once.

One book you couldn’t put down until you finished.

"Lies Women Believe" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

One book that made you laugh.

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.

One book that made you cry.

Victoria Christopher Murray's "Temptation"

One book you wish you'd written.

I wish I had written J. California Cooper's "In Search of Satisfaction" because I love historical fiction - I'm just too lazy to write it!

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

www.michellestimpson.com - michelle@michellestimpson.com

1 comment:

rhonda mcknight said...

Great interview. Michelle, I love In Search of Satisfaction, too. You are not lazy. I finished Divas of Damascus Road a few weeks ago and what an awesome story, kept me guessing till the end. What's the secret??? You know I love those books with "secrets and lies". So, lazy, I would say not.

Congrats on the YA release.

Blessings,

Rhonda
Secrets and Lies, coming Dec 2009
www.urbanchristianfictiontoday.com

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!