Monday, March 17, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: Miasha


Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

I'm an Essence Best Selling Author of 5 novels, "Secret Society", "Diary of a Mistress", Mommy's Angel", Sistah for Sale ", and "Never Enough" plus a short story in the anthology "Diamond Playgirls". I've been writing since I was nine-years-old and decided to pursue my dreams of becoming an author after hearing Karen Quinones Miller's speech at my college graduation.

Tell us about your current book?

My current book, Sistah for Sale , is about a girl, Sienna, who witnesses her father's murder, is stripped away from her mother, and sold into the sex trade industry in Miami . She believes the only way out of the trade is to make enough money to buy her freedom. So she teaches herself various languages and cultures to appeal to her owner's wealthiest clients. And when she does become her owner's highest-paid prostitute, her plan backfires when he isn't willing to give up his cash cow. She now has to do whatever it takes to get out even if that means risking her life.

What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

First, I'd like for readers to learn something about the sex trade that they may have not known or thought existed. And particulary for this book, I want readers to walk away feeling like they've just watched a great movie. After my agent read this one, she said, "I just felt so satisfied." And that's what I'm looking for readers to take from the book--pure satisfaction.

Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

Night writer. I can stay up all through the night without getting tired but as soon as the sun starts to rise, I feel the need to go to sleep.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love when I feel what I write, when it flows naturally and makes me excited about continuing. I hate having to fluff or flesh out areas that I've already written. Sometimes I feel like writing is forced when you have to add stuff as opposed to when you have to take stuff away.

What’s something you wish you’d known earlier that might have saved you some time/frustration in the publishing business?

Fortunately for me, nothing. My time in the publishing business so for has been spent pretty wisely. I can't say that I've wasted any time in this industry. And as for frustration, I get frustarted when I'm working with people who don't put forth the same effort that I put forth and in publishing I haven't come across that yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?

Complete strangers recognizing me or my work and being overly excited to meet me. It's the best feeling in the world to have people you don't know tell you how much they love what you do.

How much marketing do you do? What have you found that particularly works well for you?

I do a ton of marketing and I actually believe that I have a reputation for my marketing tactcis. That's one area of this business that many find difficult but for me it's come second nature. Several things work well for me. For instance, the magnets on the side of my cars, my decision to do photo shoots with each book, and other tools like soundtracks, calendars, and the trailer I shot for Mommy's Angel. I also believe throwing extravagant release parties has worked well for me too because it gives my fans something more to come out for than just a book thus, I establish a following from non-readers as well as readers.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That it's not something you can just clock in and clock out of. It happens when it wants to happen. I don't write everyday because I'm not creative everyday. Sometimes I go weeks or months without writing. Other times I write for weeks or months at a time. You have to be in the mood--in a zone.

Name your top five favorite writing books.

How to Write and Sell Your First Novel

The Screenwriters Bible

Screenplay-The Foundations of Screenwriting

Naked Playwriting--The Art, the Craft, & the Life Laid Bare

What do you do to make time for yourself?

I pencil me in... lol... No, I just follow my heart, mind, spirit, and body. When I feel like I need me time, I just take it then and there. I was never one afraid of putting myself first. I know and understand how important it is to take care of myself. Without my health, my sanity, and my peace of mind, none of what I do would get done. So usually, I go to the movies with my husband or to the spa when I need some time. And believe it or not when I'm on tour is when I take the most time for me. Yeah, I do my book signings, but afterwards, I'm in the hotel room, ordering room service and watching movies.

This month our theme is Writing for Children. Have you ever considered writing a children’s book?

Yes, I did actually. I want to someday write poetry books for children. I remember when I first had my son and I used to hold him most of the day wanting to talk to him but not being able to find the words to express how I felt about my newborn. I thought it would be a good idea to write poetry for those moments and then I thought it would be an even better idea to put those poems in a book and share it with other parents who have those same moments with their children. I have a title and everything--"Love, Mommy". That just may be a goal I accomplish sooner than later so look out for that one.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

Please go to my interactive website http://www.miasha.com/ and join my mailing list. I keep in touch with everybody through that list. It's the best way to get me. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!