Friday, February 29, 2008

FEATURED AUTHOR: Trisha R. Thomas


TRISHA R. THOMAS is the author of Nappily Married, Roadrunner, Would I Lie To You and the top selling Nappily Ever After, which was a finalist for the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work. Her debut novel was optioned by Halle Berry and Universal Pictures for adaptation to film. Trisha lives in Riverside, California.

NAPPILY FAITHFUL

Hoping to get away from emotional baggage in Los Angeles, Venus and Jake move to Atlanta. Yet the constant cloud of the past follows them: a difficult pregnancy and Jake being charged for the murder of his accountant. Though Jake never spent one night in jail, he fears the case will be reopened and he’ll once again have to fight for his freedom.

And the timing couldn’t be worse since Airic, the biological father of Venus' daughter Mya, suddenly demands parental rights with the child he hasn’t seen since her birth. A nasty custody battle ensues. Airic's new wife, Trevelle Doval, a famous TV evangelist--may be behind his sudden interest. Venus is in for the biggest fight of her life.

What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

Nappily Faithful is my fifth novel. By now I know what readers are looking for, bottom line, they want to feel like they're walking in the character's shoes, every emotion, every experience has to ring true. So for me, knowing my readers are satisfied is all I can ask.

What are the joys and sorrows of writing?

The joy of writing is being creative and seeing those pages come to life. The sorrow is 'self doubt'. Always questioning if I got it right.

Do you have any marketing tips that work?

Marketing is all about being present and accounted for. Readers like to discuss what they've read. Giving them a forum to open up, whether it be email or blogs, says you respect your reader. I respect anyone who takes the time to have read my story. I want to hear what they have to say...at least regarding the story. There are a few people who just want you to write what they want you to write, controlling creativity usually isn't a good thing.

What is something readers would be surprised you do?

Probably not a surprise if they've read any of the Nappily books, but I'm pretty quick to grab the scissors on my hair. It's a release, a cleansing so to speak to start anew.

Do you have any advice for those aspiring writers?

Read when you're not writing, and write when you're not reading. It's a constant process. Right now I'm reading Alexander McCall's The husband on Zebra Drive. Before that I finished Kimberla Lawson Roby's Sin No More, I love all her books. I've got a full stack of books I can't wait to read.

What’s the most interesting change in your life as a result of being a published author?

My life really hasn't changed that much. I've always been a creative person. At one time, I owned two bridal/prom salons. I designed a full line of wedding gowns, so producing something from my creativity is just the way I've always lived. I must admit, dealing with happy readers is far more fun than dealing with Bride-zillas.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

It's not easy. It takes me close to a year to write what you just read in two nights. Well, the process of making it look easy and read smoothly is where the work comes in.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

http://www.trisharthomas.com/

hairsay@trisharthomas.com

Can you us give us a sneak peek of your next book?

I'm currently writing Nappily In Bloom. I take pride in the fact that my books don't have to be read in any particular order. Although it's a series based on one character, each story stands alone. Nappily In Bloom is going to be another fun, drama filled story readers can sink their teeth in and not let go till the very last page. I love my job.

No comments:

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!