Thursday, December 22, 2005

FEATURED AUTHOR - Dorothy Goins



SORMAG: Please give the readers a brief bio on you the person and the writer.

Dorothy Goins:
I'm what I would call your average single parent. I'm driven and goal oriented and want the best for my family. I'm very much into my children and their personal growth. I consider myself blessed to have two wonderful children, a son and a daughter, who do what I ask of them without being complicated and strive so hard at achieving their own set goals. The two of them have been very supportive during my writing process. I consider that a plus to have children who understand when I must shut them and get my write on. My family structure has a lot to do with the genre I write about which is women's fiction. Let me just say, it wasn't easy growing up with six sisters. I had my good days with them and sometimes, my not so good days. What family you know gets along all the time. In order to keep the peace between us, I read a lot as an escape.

Besides being an avid reader, I'm also a poet. I've ventured through a lot of open mic venues embracing the spoken word. This venue was the inspiration that led to me writing novels. I love me some Maya Angelou. Her poems always moved me, made me want to write, which has led to my release of my first writing endeavor, a poetry book entitled. "Woman I Know" in 1998. I actually wrote a novel in 1996, gave it a title and everything, but never released it. However, I was motivated by my accomplishment with the poetry book that I made the decision to establish myself as a self-published author and used that initiative to start my publishing company, Xpressit Publications. In 2002, I released my first novel, Married Man under Xpressit and from there went on to complete my second novel, A Woman Scorn'd which made its debut in May 2005. I am currently penning my third novel.

SORMAG: Tell us about your current book?

GOINS:
My recent novel, A Woman Scorn'd introduces you to Dr. Roxane Brissett, a psychotherapist who starts up her own counseling service in the heart of Manhattan. The women she counsels are women who have been battered and abuse in some form or some facet. What Roxane's clients doesn't know is that she's haunted by a past she wishes she could put behind her. Roxane's major concern is helping her clients get through their issues.

Then, all hell breaks loose, Roxane's left trying to handle everybody's issues while losing touch with herself in the process. Her relationship with the ever so foine, smooth-talking Maurice Walker is suddenly on the brinks thanks to a crazy, deranged chick named Karma who keeps sending her threats, a phone call from a client leads her straight to a murder scene, and good ole' Auntie Nadine, with her religious sermons is working her last nerve.

SORMAG: What would you like your readers to take away from your book?

GOINS:
What it truly means to heal from a hurtful past or a painful situation.

SORMAG: What do you do to make time for yourself?

GOINS:
I love to travel to places I've never been, learn the history there and meet and become familiar with people with different backgrounds and history. I love learning about other cultures. I prefer road trips.

SORMAG: Can you share a holiday tradition with our readers?

GOINS:
I embrace Kwanzaa solely because of what it stands for, the seven principles which I've incorporated into my daily life. I don't think we AA's celebrate enough of our own traditions or learn enough about who we really are. I'm not a calendar holiday person. If it doesn't make sense and have significance, I'm not gong ho about embracing some of these so-called traditions that don't pertain to my history and who I am.

SORMAG: What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

GOINS:
I love literary fiction, like the works of Toni Morrison and Alice Walker and then there's Donald Goins and Iceberg Slim, my favorite. Serious storytellers. I am not a lover of this new street fiction genre that is way over-rated. I know everyone has a story to tell, but let's be serious, it's a media style hype with way too much emphasis on these thugs, the women who love them, and the drug life altogether. Can we talk about something else, please.

SORMAG: What should a new writer know about the publishing business?

GOINS:
That it's a competitive business same as the music industry. But, there's plenty of room for more talent to fit in. Trust your instincts...write from the heart.

SORMAG: How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

GOINS:
Through my website which is www.dorothygoins.com. I answer my readers all the time.

3 comments:

differentflags said...

Dorothy, I enjoyed reading your interview. Eugenia Renskoff, www.differentflags.com

F. D. Davis said...

Great interview, Dorothy.

Dyanne Davis

upwords said...

Dorothy,

Enjoyed this interview. Your kids sound great.

Happy Holidays,
Marilynn Griffith

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!